How to Become a Morning Person


To my fellow night owls,

As I struggle to become the morning person I have always wanted to be, this podcast by Michael Hyatt lays down some good tips on how to change your ways.  Please listen and give them a whirl.

Your soon to be energetic, happy, and loveable morning person,

Michael

Via Michael Hyatt: (click to find podcast)

Here are nine steps you can take to become a morning person, beginning today:

  1. Change your story. What would happen if you changed the story and began telling yourself, “I am a morning person.”
  2. Determine what’s at stake Whenever I want to change anything in my life or accomplish a significant goal, I start by articulating why it’s important.
  3. Plan your sleep. Like changing any other habit, you have to set yourself up for success.
  4. Use an alarm. If you haven’t been a morning person until now, you will likely need to use an alarm. It’s part of training yourself mentally and physically.
  5. Turn on all the lights. This may sound obvious, but your environment provides subtle clues to your body, so it knows how to respond.
  6. Set out your clothes. When you get up, the fewer decisions you need to make the better.
  7. Drink a cup of coffee. After considerable research, I’m convinced coffee is fine in moderation. In fact, it’s probably beneficial.
  8. Enlist an accountability partner. Whether it’s a mentor or a peer, find someone who understands the value of accountability.
  9. Commit to twenty-one days. According to many psychologists, this is how long it takes to form a habit.
What I really want to communicate in this episode is you have more power than you think. You don’t have to be held hostage by a label. (“I’m not a morning person.”)
If you are intentional, you can build the habits necessary to accomplish your goals—even if it means becoming a morning person.

Listener Questions

  1. Christopher Scott asked, “It typically takes me ten to fifteen minutes to wakeup after I get up. What do you do to be alert more quickly?”
  2. Egil Ellingsen asked, “How do you have a consistent start to your morning when you have small children in the house?”
  3. Evan Moffic asked, “What is it about the morning that makes it such an important time?”
  4. Ian Harber asked, “I’m a college student. The culture of the dorm is to stay up late. How can I become a morning person when the environment is against me?”
  5. Jack Callender asked, “I’d really like to be a morning person. However, I am very sore in the morning, and it’s hard to get out of bed. What do you recommend?”
  6. Jonathan Harrison asked, “If you go to bed late, what do you do the next morning? Skip it, compress it, or keep your commitment no matter what?”
  7. Linda Kuhar asked, “I’m already a morning person, but I need to add some more things to my schedule (like exercise). Do you have any recommendations?”
  8. Pete Ashby asked, “Is it possible to be both a morning and an evening person?”
  9. Theresa Pobee-Mensah asked, “How can mothers of young children establish a consistent morning routine?”
  10. Wayne Stiles asked, “I don’t think we are morning or evening people by nature. The ability to adjust to different time zones seems to prove this. What do you think?”
 



What else is there to say but goodnight and goodnight to you Mrs. Amore, wherever you may be.

No comments :

Post a Comment