Best Articles of 2010

The following articles, in my opinion, are worthy reading material.






Delivering Health Care in India
Bill Gates, The Gates Notes
Bill’s visit to India is a part of his ongoing efforts to see first-hand the impact of issues that people in poor rural and urban communities are facing and to assess how innovative approaches to addressing these issues are working. Look for additional videos in the future as Bill travels to other regions where the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is supporting programs in global health and development.
I'm Tired
Robert A. Hall
I'll be 63 soon. Except for one semester in college when jobs were scarce, and a six-month period when I was between jobs but job-hunting every day, I've worked hard, since I was 18. Despite some health challenges, I still put in 50-hour weeks, and haven't called in sick for seven or eight years. I make a good salary, but I didn't inherit my job or my income, and I worked to get where I am. Given the economy, there's no retirement in sight, and I'm tired. Very tired.
Personalized Energy 

Dan Nocera


Who's Afraid Of The Truth About Autism? 
Jenny McCarthy, The Huffington Post
Parents of recovered children, and I've met hundreds, all share the same experience of doubters and deniers telling us our child must have never even had autism or that the recovery was simply nature's course. We all know better, and frankly we're too busy helping other parents to really care.

The gathering storm
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

Sometimes in the noise of the news there will be a single item that pops out with clarity. That happened when I heard about Tracy, California, which is charging $300 every time the fire department answers an emergency call that doesn't involve a fire.

Embedded with the Teachers
Tony Danza, The Daily Danza 
Maybe embedded is the wrong word. It certainly is a loaded word. It immediately reminds us of the reporters, the war correspondents, who are with our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. These brave men and women, sometimes more than brave, return from their assignments and recount the hardships our men and women in uniform are enduring every day to keep us safe. Not quite as bravely, I have returned to recount what I saw on the front lines of the education wars.

What Makes a Great Teacher?
Aanda Ripley, The Atlantic
For years, the secrets to great teaching have seemed more like alchemy than science, a mix of motivational mumbo jumbo and misty-eyed tales of inspiration and dedication. But for more than a decade, one organization has been tracking hundreds of thousands of kids, and looking at why some teachers can move them three grade levels ahead in a year and others can’t. Now, as the Obama administration offers states more than $4 billion to identify and cultivate effective teachers, Teach for America is ready to release its data.








What else is there to say but goodnight and goodnight to you Mrs. Amore, wherever you may be.

No comments :

Post a Comment